[rudder-users] tags, comments and best practise

François Armand francois at rudder.io
Fri Nov 29 15:12:09 CET 2019

On 29/11/2019 15:06, tim taler wrote:
>> Hello Tim! Sorry for the delay, we missed your email. Answers inline:
> Hi Francois, no prob, thanks for the answer!
>
>>> ... the ability to insert a couple of lines (block)
>>> at an arbitrary "anchor" in a config file
>>> (insert line-s after/before line matching)
>>> One use-case for this would be the
>>> editing of /etc/rsyslog.conf
>> File edit is more the domain of Nicolas, I will let him answer (or
>> anyone who can, actually).
>> I know that you can manage part of files based on anchor (in File Edit
>> technique, things related to "enforce content by section", or "enforce
>> content only in zone") but that's not quite what you need AFAIU.
> no, not exactly - that would be sufficient on a file where I could set
> the anchors beforehand - but than it would be already a template ;-)

That's what I understood. So perhaps Nicolas could have an idea?

> A "simple"
> insert_line_<before|after>(filename, anchor-regex, <line|block>-to_insert)
> would help...
>
> Even further down the road - is there maybe a technique for
> yaml files on the horizon?

I think we added support for loading yaml file as dictionnaries
recently. Alexis would likely know ?

> One use-case here would be to automate the injection of new
> monitoring targets into my prometheus config
> (though that might be better done in a propper plugin,
> haven't had the time yet, but will also have a look at
> your centreon adapter ... but I like prometheus A LOT ;-)

Hey, we would enjoy to help you (or do with you) a prometheus plugin !
We typically add them based on users/customers need so that the plugin
actually matches a real use case. Most likelly a part for Benoit ! (a
couple more ideas, and I will have pong everyone :)

>>> https://www.cisecurity.org/
>>> (or https://verinice.com/)
>> That's funny because we're actually working on a plugin for CIS
> Great! Thanks a lot!
> Will have a look
>
> Best

Cheers,