[rudder-users] tags, comments and best practise

Benoit Peccatte benoit.peccatte at rudder.io
Fri Nov 29 15:32:56 CET 2019

Hello tim,

On 29/11/2019 15:12, François Armand wrote:
> On 29/11/2019 15:06, tim taler wrote:
>>> Hello Tim! Sorry for the delay, we missed your email. Answers inline:
>> Hi Francois, no prob, thanks for the answer!

>>> File edit is more the domain of Nicolas, I will let him answer (or
>>> anyone who can, actually).
>>> I know that you can manage part of files based on anchor (in File Edit
>>> technique, things related to "enforce content by section", or "enforce
>>> content only in zone") but that's not quite what you need AFAIU.
>> no, not exactly - that would be sufficient on a file where I could set
>> the anchors beforehand - but than it would be already a template ;-)
>
> That's what I understood. So perhaps Nicolas could have an idea?
>
>> A "simple"
>> insert_line_<before|after>(filename, anchor-regex,
>> <line|block>-to_insert)
>> would help...
>>
>> Even further down the road - is there maybe a technique for
>> yaml files on the horizon?
>
> I think we added support for loading yaml file as dictionnaries
> recently. Alexis would likely know ?

We have the support in the agent and it can be done in a custom
technique using the generic method "Variable dict from file type".

For pre existing technique, the "Variable from JSON file (dict)"
technique could easily be extended to support yaml too.

>> One use-case here would be to automate the injection of new
>> monitoring targets into my prometheus config
>> (though that might be better done in a propper plugin,
>> haven't had the time yet, but will also have a look at
>> your centreon adapter ... but I like prometheus A LOT ;-)
>
> Hey, we would enjoy to help you (or do with you) a prometheus plugin !
> We typically add them based on users/customers need so that the plugin
> actually matches a real use case. Most likelly a part for Benoit ! (a
> couple more ideas, and I will have pong everyone :)

What do you want to do with your plugin ? Monitor Rudder or configure
the monitoring of something else ?

--
<http://www.rudder.io/> 	Benoît Peccatte
Architecte