[rudder-users] rudder 6.0 - feedback, and questions

Alexis Mousset alexis.mousset at normation.com
Wed Dec 11 12:58:55 CET 2019

December 10, 2019 8:50 PM, "tim taler" <robur314 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi all,

Hi Tim,

> first: thanks for the new version of your pretty awesome software! :+1:
>
> now here my first feedback:
>
> INSTALLATION:
> I like to try the rudder (with no license so far) on a freshly
> installed debian buster.
> I installed gnupg2 and openjdk-11-jdk beforehand and than followed:
>
> https://docs.rudder.io/reference/6.0/installation/server/debian.html
>
> there I hit again, as for version 5.x, the:
>
> debconfig-common question on rsyslog-pgsql
>
> installation went fine with selecting "no" on this debconfig question,
> is that right?
> I would wish - especially for newbies/first testers - to have either
> this question preanswered/solved, OR a hint in the installation howto
> saying "you'll hit this question, answer no" (if that's right) -> fix
> in docu?

Yes! I opened https://issues.rudder.io/issues/16390 to at least add a note about it
in the docs (I thought it was already somewhere, but could not find it).
We'll also see if we can provide a answer to avoid the question completely.

> other than that the installation went all smoothly.
>
> CONFIGURATION:
> diverting from the strict line of the installation procedure
> (which suggests to login as admin:admin immediatly)
> I changed the login credentials without login in as admin:admin,for
> the first time.
> - I added a user with a password and changed the admin password
> - restarted the rudder-jetty service
> - logged in with my new credentials
> login went all fine.
>
> after log in I noticed the STATUS button was red,
> a "REGENERATE ALL POLICIES"
> cleared it to green.
>
> If that's expected, a hint in the installation procedure might give a
> more secure and smooth first impression? ;-)

It is a known bug in 6.0.0, we'll get this fixed for 6.0.1 (it happens
because of changes in the setup order of some components, making the first
policy generation fail).

> PLUGINS:
> I was looking forward to have a look at the new CIS (and even CVE??)
> compliance feature/plugin
> Now as a rudder newbie I went to:
>
> https://docs.rudder.io/reference/6.0/plugins/index.html
>
> which seems to suggest that there are two types of plugins:
> - those who are free
> - those who come when you got a license for them
>
> but I seem not to be able to get ANY plugins at this point:
>
> --- snipp ---
> root at rudder6:~# rudder package update
>
> Received a HTTP 401 Unauthorized error when trying to get
> https://download.rudder.io/plugins/rpkg.index. Please check your
> credentials in /opt/rudder/etc/rudder-pkg/rudder-pkg.conf
> --- snapp ---
> --- snipp ---
> root at rudder6:~# rudder package list
>
> +-------------+---------+----------------+
>
> | Plugin Name | Version | Latest release |
>
> +-------------+---------+----------------+
>
> | | | |
> --- snapp ---
> --- snipp ---
> root at rudder6:~# rudder package list --all
>
> Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)Could not read the index file
> /var/rudder/tmp/plugins/rpkg.index
> --- snapp ---
>
> so far for here and now.
> But HOW do I get the CIS (and CVE) plugins (if they are in the "free"
> - section) or ANY plugin in from the free section?

The use of "rudder package" to download or upgrade plugins
directly from the repository is currently only available with a subscription.
You need to use the "rudder package install-file" command to install a
local .rpkg file for free plugins.

The CVE and CIS plugins have not been released yet, CIS plugin
will be free, CVE will not. We'll work to make the plugins page on the
website and the plugins doc clearer very soon.

The free plugins are available through the download button on
https://www.rudder.io/en/use/plugins/ (or directly at https://repository.rudder.io/plugins/6.0/).

Thanks a lot for your feedback!