[rudder-users] Time zone setting isn't global

Rob Pomeroy rob at pomeroy.me
Wed Mar 28 18:35:36 CEST 2018

Hi,

There's a interesting snag with the "Time settings version 3.2" directive.
It sets the timezone correctly for the root user, but apparently not for
other users, on Ubuntu 16.

Here's an example of a server, which Rudder claims is fully compliant:

rob.pomeroy at webdbb2:~$ date
Wed Mar 28 *16:15:14 UTC* 2018
rob.pomeroy at webdbb2:~$ sudo date
Wed Mar 28 *17:15:20 BST* 2018
rob.pomeroy at webdbb2:~$ cat /etc/timezone
*Europe/London*

This server is configured to timezone Europe/London, which is currently on
daylight saving time (British Summer Time).

Running dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive tzdata fixes the problem for all
users. So clearly, it does something that the Rudder directive misses. The
other command that's popular on Ubuntu, "timedatectl set-timezone
Europe/London" , does *not* fix the problem.

Note: we're not setting TZ in profiles or bashrcs, or anything like that.

Does this look like a bug? If so, I'll willingly report it.

Rob

--
*Rob Pomeroy*, CISSP <https://www.isc2.org/cissp>, Solicitor
<http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/person/250541/robert-john-pomeroy> *| *