[rudder-users] Class definition

Chris lists at deksai.com
Mon Mar 17 23:51:36 CET 2014

>> I'm a bit stuck trying to see if I can migrate our current cfengine
>> classes to rudder.  Right now with cfengine, I can define classes
>> based on arbitrary commands.  For instance, because of
>> https://cfengine.com/dev/issues/3420, I have to use a module to define
>> classes based on network location.  This is quite useful.  While I
>> know rudder will let you run a command to set variables, I'm not
>> exactly sure how I would use this to define classes.  Is there any way
>> to make a dynamic group based on the output of a command?

> For you specific use case about network, you can create group based on
> network interface (we use inventory information returned by Fusion
> Inventory, hence we are not suffering from the CFEngine bug you list).
>
> On the more general use case, you can create groups based on
> environment variables within Rudder. So you could have environnement
> variables defined ad hoc for your needs, and use them to create groups
>
> does it help ?

Yes, I think I could work around quite a few things with environment
variables.  If I were to get really desparate though, do you have a
rough idea of how much work it would be to add hooks to inject generic
information to the inventory?  I see that I'd either have to add to the
ldap schema or abuse other generic attributes, and add methods to the
"addInformationsToInventory" bundle.  It looks like I'd have to work on
endpoint/upload, but haven't made it any further than that.  This would
allow someone to emulate defining classes inside cfengine, and emulate
the resulting cf-hub knowledge that came from it.

Another question is how to trigger rules based on the outcome of other
rules.  Perhaps I haven't looked closely enough, but is this possible
out of the box or does that require something custom to glue things
together?