[rudder-users] Rudder 2.4.0~beta3 available!

Jonathan Clarke jonathan.clarke at normation.com
Tue Aug 21 15:22:57 CEST 2012

We are very proud to announce the availability of a brand new version of
Rudder, 2.4.0~beta3.

This is the first official release in the 2.4 series, code-named
Drakkar. This beta version has been a long time in the making, and I'd
like to apologize to those who have been waiting for it. Your wait has
not been in vain however, as this version comes fully tested and loaded
with new features!

***** Changes *****

It is impossible to list every change here (check out the Redmine
roadmap for that -
http://www.rudder-project.org/redmine/projects/rudder/roadmap?completed=1),
but here is an overview of the major changes:

     Core concepts renamed for clarity (Configuration Rules, Policy
Instances and Policy Templates are now Rules, Directives and Techniques)
     REST API
     Basic authorization management
     Drill down information about configuration status for Rules,
Directives, Components and Values is available in the UI
     New "ops log" targeted at sysadmins who need to analyze the
application in production
     Inventory information now includes environment variables, running
processes and virtual machines
     Nodes can now be deleted
     The Rudder server can now manage itself (the server is "just
another node")
     Rudder server now checks it's own configuration via CFEngine (aka
"eat your own dogfood")
     All configurations (groups, Rules, Directives & Techniques) can now
be exported to a local git repository or a ZIP archive and re-imported
     A change message can be requested on each change for documentation
(visible in Event Logs and as a git commit message)
     Automatic configuration deployment can be disabled to allow for
manual change validation
     Groups and Directives can now be cloned
     Many UI improvements

***** Operating systems supported *****

This version also provides packages for several new operating systems:
* Rudder server can now be run on RHEL 6, Ubuntu 11.10, Ubuntu 12.04,
as well as Debian 5, Debian 6 and SLES 11
* Rudder agent can now be run on all of the above as well as RHEL 5 and
SLES 10

***** Installing, upgrading and testing *****

Install and Upgrade documentation is available at
http://www.rudder-project.org/rudder-doc-2.4/. We also recommend using
the Rudder Vagrant config if you want a quick and easy way to get an
installation for testing - see https://github.com/normation/rudder-vagrant/.

***** Release notes *****

Please note that this beta3 version contains significantly more new
features that the beta1 and beta2 versions (available on
rudder-project.org but not officially announced). This decision was made
to include features from another branch that were reaching maturity
almost at the same time as this release was prepared. This decision is
the cause for the delay in this release.

This software is in beta status. We have tested it thoroughly and
believe it to be free of any majors bugs, but use on production systems
at this time is not encouraged and is at your own risk. We are however
running it successfully on our internal production system.

***** Contributors *****

Special thanks go out to the following individuals who invested time,
patience, testing, patches or bug reports to make this version of Rudder
awesome:

     Fabrice Flore-Thébault
     François Bayart aka A-Kaser (Look a box)
     Gonéri Le Bouder (Teclib)
     Jean Rémond (Savoir Faire Linux)
     Matt Ungaro
     Michael Gliwinski (Henderson Group)
     Michael Linder (Arcellor Mittal)
     Olivier Li Kiang Cheong aka lkco
     And of course the whole team at Normation who have worked through
ice cold and blazing heat, mud, sweat and tears to make this happen!

We are very excited about this release and hope you will be too. We are
impatient to hear your feedback, be it comments on this blog, questions
on Twitter, bug reports or feature requests or even GitHub pull requests :)

See also this announcement online:
* Normation blog:
http://blog.normation.com/2012/08/21/rudder-2-4-0-beta-available/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/RudderProject