[rudder-dev] adding feature to a technique

Jonathan Clarke jonathan.clarke at normation.com
Tue Feb 5 13:51:50 CET 2013

On 05/02/13 13:40, Michael Gliwinski wrote:
> On Sunday 03 Feb 2013 16:50:59 François Armand wrote:
>> Michael Gliwinski <Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com> a écrit :
>>> This makes perfect sense.  The only drawback I can see is that finding
>>> history
>>> of changes to a file (from vcs) will become more difficult because
>>> pretty much
>>> before starting development you'll be creating a copy.
>>>
>>> Unless the versioning could be somehow separated from the source?
>> Yeah, I'm thinking about a way to separate technique development from
>> versioning in Rudder, so that Dev could use any VCS they want with any
>> commit convention they choose, and have an other production-compliant
>> versioning schema alike what Jon proposed. But well, I need some more
>> thinking !)
> I know, it's hard.  I thought about it some more and the only thing I could
> come up with that would preserve being able to version each technique
> individually was to split the repository so each technique has it's own, but
> that's probably a maintenance nightmare :|

That is actually something we have been considering. This could make
sense if third parties decide to create and maintain Techniques, and
want to keep the "code" in their own source repository (imagine some
tool, like ElasticSearch or Redmine or something, decides to create a
Technique for Rudder to make it easier for people to install their tool,
but want to maintain control over the Technique to be able to upgrade it
for their customers/users/etc).

I think last time we discussed it, we too decided it's the only way to
have versioning per-Technique. But to make it really easy for users that
don't care about changing Techniques, we should present a unique git
repository that assembles all the individual ones (sort of a "aggregated
proxy view").

This is where things get complicated, because the "git way" to do this
is via git-submodules, but they're a bit iffy... So we were considering
setting up some scripts to automate this, so that everytime an
individual Technique repo gets updated, we git clone it, and commit it
into the "unique" repo. Each directory would be a git clone from the
individual repos, and thus conserve versioning info (git supports one
repo inside another).

So, this is a possibility. It would involve quite a bit of work in the
Rudder web interface to be able to get Technique versions from git
instead of the filesystem, but it's not impossible. What do you think
about this approach?

Jonathan
*Jonathan CLARKE*
/CTO - Directeur technique/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 83 62 41 24
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 99 60 03 10