User story #5942
Let user define the full gecos field in user management technique
if there's a comma in the GECOS field, the rule is not be actually applied.
Status Success "The user testuser1 ( test user 1 111 49089-XYZ 00_1 ) is already present on the system"
Status Repaired "The user testuser2 ( test user 2, 111, 49089-XYZ, 00_2 ) had a wrong fullname"
Directive: User management
Directive version: 5.0
Rudder version: Rudder v.2.11.5~rc1~git201411220241
#3 Updated by Nicolas CHARLES almost 4 years ago
- Status changed from New to Pending technical review
- Assignee set to Jonathan CLARKE
- Pull Request set to https://github.com/Normation/rudder-techniques/pull/602/files
#4 Updated by Jonathan CLARKE almost 4 years ago
- Status changed from Pending technical review to Discussion
- Assignee changed from Jonathan CLARKE to Alexander Brunhirl
Actually, I think that what you're trying to do here is unsupported. The GECOS field in /etc/passwd should contain the following fields: Full name,Room number,Work phone,Home Phone,Other. The comma is the separator here.
By using commas in the "Full name" field in Rudder's Technique, you're effectively trying to use the "Full name" field as "GECOS" field. This is not supported, the point of this field is to fill in the "Full name".
However, there is indeed a bug here: we should filter out commas to avoid "breaking" the GECOS field, and make sure the Technique only changes the first field.
We could, of course, add a new Technique version to also manage the others fields from GECOS. Would this be useful to you?
#51 Updated by Nicolas CHARLES 2 months ago
- Tracker changed from Bug to User story
- Subject changed from Comas in the full name field make the users technique fail to Let user define the full gecos field in user management technique
- Target version changed from 4.1.14 to Ideas (not version specific)
- Severity deleted (
Minor - inconvenience | misleading | easy workaround)
- User visibility deleted (
Getting started - demo | first install | level 1 Techniques)
- Effort required deleted (
- Priority deleted (
After rereading the whole thread, the idea of this ticket is to set the GECOS field, not simply the full user name
So making it an user story