[rudder-users] Move Rules/Directives and Techniques between Servers

Nicolas Charles nicolas.charles at normation.com
Thu Nov 22 09:35:35 CET 2018

Hi Waldo,

You have several approaches for synchronizing different Rudder
environments. The most commonly used rely on the underlying git which
archive all configurations (in /var/rudder/configuration-repository).
Options are:

  * Set all the configurations in the Dev environment only, and force
    synchronize it to the QA and Prod environments: with this approach,
    you have 3 Rudder Servers, *in exactly the same version*, and
    prohibit any changes of configuration in QA & Prod. When you are
    happy with configuration in Dev environment, you manually promote it
    through git to the QA server, and load the configuration from git
    (like in
    https://docs.rudder.io/reference/5.0/administration/server.html#_importing_configuration).
      o The main issue with this approach is that you can't do changes
        in QA or Prod, and when you want to promote configurations to
        QA, you need to make sure that nobody are doing any changes on
        the Dev Rudder
  * Cherry pick the configuration from Dev to import them in QA. All
    modifications of Groups, Directives, Rules and Techniques are stored
    in git, they can be tracked, and you can pick them by importing them
    in the QA & Prod environment. This is a fine-grained approach.
      o Here, detecting possible dependencies can be tricky: you'll need
        to cherry-pick also Directives that are within a Rule for
        instance. But since it is in a "human-readable" (understand:
        XML) format, you can use diff, or even better meld to see
        differences.

You can also use the API (see documentation https://docs.rudder.io/api/
) to synchronize between environments - GET on the DEV, POST on the QA -
which is probably the most convenient way to do.

Does it help you to see how to do it?

Nicolas