[rudder-users] Communication error between rudder 5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04/Debian 9/Sles 15 and any other OS/versions

Francois Armand francois.armand at normation.com
Wed Nov 7 19:14:06 CET 2018

Dear users,

We have found a communication problem between some versions of rudder
agent and server due to a bug in OpenSSL library.

The problem occurs when a client (resp. server) using OpenSSL 1.0 try to
communicate with a server (resp. client) using OpenSSL 1.1.0.
It is corrected in newly released OpenSSL 1.1.1
(https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/7134). The Rudder
corresponding bug is traced on Rudder bug tracker
(https://www.rudder-project.org/redmine/issues/13690).

Rudder versions from 5.0.0 to 5.0.2 on Ubuntu 18.04, Debian 9, and SLES
15 use OpenSSL 1.1.0.
Any previous version of Rudder on these OS or any version of Rudder in
any other OS use OpenSSL 1.0.
If you have in your environment a Rudder server in one group and agents
in the other group, these agents won't be able to communicate with the
server any more.

The most likely case where it could happen is if you upgrade a Rudder
server on Ubuntu 18.04 or on Debian 9 from version 4.3 to 5.0. In such a
case, a partial workaround is to also upgrade Debian 9/Ubuntu 18.04
agents to Rudder 5.0, but agents in other OS will still be impacted by
the communication problem.
A safer and simpler solution, if available, is to delay such on upgrade
until a patch is available.

We are working on the patch to replace the buggy OpenSSL 1.1.0 and we
will release a new version of Rudder 5.0 with it as soon as possible.

We are sorry for any inconvenience resulting from this problem. If you
need more information or help, please don't hesitate to contact us by
email or other means of communication like gitter
(https://gitter.im/normation/rudder) or irc (#rudder on freenode).

Regards,

*François ARMAND*
/Co-founder & CTO/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 83 62 99 23
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 63 37 60 55