[rudder-users] Git "rudder" repository need special update after a breaking merge

Francois Armand francois.armand at normation.com
Fri Apr 6 17:24:38 CEST 2018

On 16/02/2018 11:21, Francois Armand wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday we had a merge problem with our automated script which broke
> the "rudder" Git repository.
>
> Details of the problem and workaround are in
> https://www.rudder-project.org/redmine/issues/12128
>
> If you are not using that repository, you can safely ignore that message.
>
> On the other hand, you will need to reset branches 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and
> master.
>
> There are several methods describe in the ticket, two of them follow:
>
>   * the simplest, if you use the repository only for read, is to
>     delete the repository and clone it back:
>       o rm -rf my_repos/rudder
>       o git clone https://github.com/Normation/rudder.git
>   * if you use the repository for development, you will need to update
>     all branches:
>       o *git fetch*
>           + you will see a message about a force update
>       o for i in 4.1 4.2 4.3; do git checkout branches/rudder/$i ; git
>         reset --hard origin/branches/rudder/$i ; done
>       o git checkout master ; git reset --hard origin/master
>
> We are sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Have a nice day !

Oups, we did it again. Same procedure need to be applied on all your dev
branches.

But it should not happen anymore in the future! (and we're really sorry
about that)

*François ARMAND*
/Co-founder & CTO/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 83 62 99 23
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 63 37 60 55