[rudder-users] Remarque about MOTD Directive

Francois Armand francois.armand at normation.com
Thu Apr 20 15:09:33 CEST 2017

On 20/04/2017 09:49, Christophe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry some informations is missing on my mail below (i don't know why), i
> rewrite it soon.
>
> Le mercredi 19 avril 2017, 08:23:22 Christophe a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just set up my first directive MOTD :-)
>> My goal is that my message is displayed at the beginning of the
>> existing texts both in the pre-connection message and the
>> message of the day, so I selected the following parameters:
>>
>>    - Enforce this MOTD only : No
>>    - Display also this message before login : Yes
>>
>> Is it the expected functioning?
>>
>> Regards
> Regards

Hi Christophe,

FYI, the HTML version seems to be fuller, we have that part and two more
lines:

> And I have 2 remarks / questions:
>
>   - If the message I want to display begins with spaces they are
> deleted, this can be annoying. I circumvented the pb by starting my
> text with a dot, is there a better solution?
>   - My previous tests made me discover a surprising operation, each
> time I modify the first line of my message, it is added to the old
> information, it does not replace the previous first line,
>
> Is it the expected functioning?

The problem with space is known (very old) and followed here:
https://www.rudder-project.org/redmine/issues/3656.

And unfortunately for the added line, it is the expected behavior if you
don't "enforce this MOTD only". Because we don't have any possibility to
know that the line was previously added by the agent. That seems to show
that our description of fields are not sufficiently clear. And perhaps
we should also allow people to remove lines from motd, to clean crap.

Would you mind opening a bug report for the added line problem, because
we really need to clarify the name of option (and perhaps change default
for enforce) ?

Thanks,

*François ARMAND*
/Co-founder & CTO/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 83 62 99 23
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 63 37 60 55