[rudder-users] Rudder 3.1.15 / 3.2.8 remove Carriage returns in text area inputs when saving Directives

Nicolas Charles nicolas.charles at normation.com
Wed Oct 12 11:35:44 CEST 2016

Dear users,

Rudder versions 3.1.15 and 3.2.8 released last week contain a bug that
can merge several lines into one, for configuration files, scripts, etc.
This occurs when creating or updating a directive that contains a text
area (see bug https://www.rudder-project.org/redmine//issues/9243 for
details). Techniques built with the Technique Editor are not impacted by
that issue and are safe to use.

As a result, saving changes in Directives may result in one-line content
rather than the expected content. Typically impacted Directives are
"File enforce content" or "Message of the day".

The bug has been fixed already, and new releases containing the fix will
be released today. These versions, 3.1.16 and 3.2.9, will be announced
on the rudder-announce mailing list as usual.

Until then, if you are using version 3.1.15 or 3.2.8, we recommend you
avoid creating or updating any Directives with a text area input (again,
Technique Editor is safe to use).

If you have already done so, or need to make a change before you can
update to the fixed version, two possible workarounds are available:
- You can replace all carriage returns in a textarea in affected
directives with the string "${const.n}". This is interpreted by
rudder-agent and will be replaced by a standard carriage return.
- Alternatively, you can change the saved content in Rudder's
configuration-repository, on the root server's disk, as follows:

cd /var/rudder/configuration-repository/directives/
# find the XML file that contains your faulty directive, for example
with "grep -rHn 'text to search' ."
# edit the XML file to restore carriage returns as desired
git add <path to edited file>
git commit -m "Fix carriage returns in directive"
curl -k https://localhost/rudder/api/archives/restore/full/latestCommit

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please be assured that this issue has
our utmost attention, and the team is working hard to get new releases
available as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Nicolas

--