[rudder-users] LDAP issue

Francois Armand francois.armand at normation.com
Thu Mar 6 17:58:09 CET 2014

On 06/03/2014 16:33, Prestasit01 wrote:

> Nicolas,
>

> SERVERPROD : 2.6.10 server installed from scratch, all
> rules/directives/groups/catogies mannualy created.
>

> SERVERTEST : 2.6.10 server installed from scratch,
> « configuration-repository » similar to SERVERPROD (we used the
> migration process)
>

> After the « restore », we have an error on SERVERTEST :
>

> cid:part3.00070702.00070406 at normation.com
>

> This group exist on SERVERPROD (which is on the same OS, with same
> updates, and same rudder-server –root version)

You mean that if you go to the group page, you can go to the given group
and see it by going to:
http://yourserver/rudder/secure/nodeManager/groups#{"groupId":"here-the-uuid"}

> I only found 2 things :
>
> -          category.xml is not present on SERVERPROD (and i don’t know
> why and if it’s normal)

That should not be the case. category.xml is a file saying that the
directory is a category with the name contained in the file. Without
that, the directory is ignored when you are restoring.

So, there is something strange.
Are you sure there is the category.xml files present in the SERVERTEST
configuration-repository/groups ? If so, are you sure they are still in
the tar ?
And if so, I don't understand where they disapeared.

> -          The contained of the « groups » folder is the same (for me
> it seems light, because we have a lot of group/categories in our web
> interface and there is not a lot of folders and files on this
> « groups » folder).

*IF* an archive was made, your groups and groups category (what you see
in the groups screen) and the content of configuration-repository/groups
should be the same. You should even find exactly the same directory
structure (for exemple with the "tree --dirsfirst" command).

The worst part on all of that is that we are not succeding in
reproducing that bug, so we are just guesssing... And it seems we are
not that good at guessing.

So, could do that procedure please:

  * on SERVERTEST, go to (cd)/var/rudder/configuration-repository
  * rm -rf groups
  * git add -u
  * git commit -m "Manually removing groups to see if the export is ok"
  * then, on the archives UI of SERVERTEST, click on the "Archive
    groups" button
  * look in configuration-repository/groups and check that each existing
    categories in the groups screen has a "category.xml" counterpart in
    the filesystem
  * if ok, make the archive: tar –cvf xxx.tar.gz groups
  * on SERVERPROD, go to configuration-repository
  * rm -rf groups
  * git add -u
  * git commit -m "manually cleaning groups"
  * untar xxxx.tar.gz (it should create a new groups directory)
  * git add groups
  * git commit -m "Importing groups"
  * now, you should have in both the FS and git last commit the exact
    mirror content than what you have on the fs of SERVERTEST, which is
    itself the same content of what you have on you "groups" screen
  * now, in SERVERPROD, go to "archives", and select "latest git commit"
    -> Restore groups
  * try to regenerate promises

Does that procedure works ?

Thanks,

*François ARMAND*
/Directeur de la R&D/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 83 62 99 23
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 63 37 60 55