[rudder-users] Windows agent only for inventory

Jonathan Clarke jonathan.clarke at normation.com
Wed Jun 25 09:02:50 CEST 2014

Dear Fernando,

Sorry for the late reply. It should be possible to just run the
inventory on your Windows machines, if this is what you need.

To achieve this, you just need to install the FusionInventory agent on
each Windows machine. This should be called to make an inventory (you
can have it stored on disk using --local=/some/directory). That (a .ocs
file, actually containing XML) should be sent to Rudder's inventory
endpoint (usually something like "curl -f --user login:password -T
"/some/directory/your-inventory-file.ocs"). The login/password can be
found in Rudder's configuration file
(/opt/rudder/etc/rudder-web.properties on the server).

This whole operation could maybe be automated by FusionInventory, and
configure it to send the XML file directly but I'm not sure about this step.

However, bear in mind that Rudder does not have a concept of "inventory
only" machines, so will generate CFEngine promises for these machines
(if you accept them in Rudder) and will show that the compliance is 0%
because no reports will be coming from them.

Hope this helps!
Jonathan