[rudder-users] [IMPORTANT] Upgrade bug in 2.9.0 - avoid upgrading until 2.9.1

Vincent Membré vincent.membre at normation.com
Thu Jan 2 16:17:25 CET 2014

Dear Rudder users,

As you know, Rudder 2.9.0  has just been released, and it works like a
charm on a fresh installation.

However, I recommend you to not upgrade your actual installation of
Rudder to that version, especially if you are using 2.4 or 2.6 versions.

When upgrading from 2.4/2.6:

  * Rudder web interface will not start due to a pending pre-start
    check, making Rudder unusable for those installations.
  * So really do not upgrade from 2.4/2.6.

When upgrading from 2.7/2.8:

  * Due to a missing file, an upgrade will fail on rudder-webapp
    package, leading to incomplete installation.
  * However the missing upgrade will not prevent Rudder from being
    usable, and you can use Rudder 2.9.
  * Main problem is that your old event logs and change requests could
    not be displayed by Rudder, new events and change request will not
    have a problem
  * To repair your upgrade on your rudder server:
      o cd /opt/rudder/share/upgrade-tools
      o wget
        https://raw.github.com/Normation/rudder/branches/rudder/2.9/rudder-core/src/main/resources/Migration/dbMigration-2.8-2.9-set-migration-needed-flag-for-EventLog.sql
      o Install the package again.
  * I still recommend to wait for a new release before upgrading.

We will release a 2.9.1 by tomorrow, fixing all those upgrade issue.

We are really sorry about the inconvenience,

I wish you a happy new year with lots of compliant reports.

*Vincent Membré*
/Ingénieur R&D/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 84 16 06 00
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 10 14 76 78