[rudder-users] [Release] Rudder 3.0.0~beta1 is out!

Jonathan Clarke jonathan.clarke at normation.com
Tue Dec 2 10:41:45 CET 2014

Hi Maxime,

Thanks for all your positive feedback :-)

Some details below:

On 2 December 2014 10:05:42 CET, Maxime Longuet <m.longuet at itika.net> wrote:

>Le 1 déc. 2014 à 20:09, Vincent Membré <vincent.membre at normation.com> a
>écrit :

>> 	• Add a 'changes-only' compliance mode, with lower bandwidth usage
>
>?? This is a testing mode ?

No, it's a mode that can be used for everyday production systems too.

To understand this, let me explain how Rudder reporting works. Each configuration that we check (is a package installed? Is a service running? Does a configuration file contain the right lines? etc) leads to one report sent from each agent to the central server, that has a status of "success" (already ok), "repaired" (was not ok but we fixed it) or "error" (something went wrong).

Usually, 90-100% of reports will be "success" because after the first run, all configurations are correctly set up. So the agent sends many reports, on each run, just to say "everything is ok".

The "changes-only" mode doesn't send "success" reports, only "repaired" and "error". In this mode, Rudder *assumes* that no report means "success". To ensure that a node is still responding, not offline, the agent will send a "heartbeat" regularly (by default every run, but can be set as low as every 24 hours), which allows Rudder to know the agent is running.

The reporting displayed in the web interface is the same as the standard ("full-compliance") mode. The main differences are technical (bandwidth) and for organisations that need to *prove* compliance (in this case, you may need the success reports to prove that your configurations were checked).

>> 	• Possibility to add custom attributes to Nodes
>
>Nice :)

To clarify this, these attributes are displayed and are searchable in the en interface. But they can only be set via the REST API.

>> 	• Environment variables can used as parameters in Directives and
>Techniques
>
>Very Nice :)

The syntax to use here is ${node.env[VARIABLENAME]}. It works in Directives, ncf builder and Techniques.

>Thanks a lot, i'm hope to test it quickly !

Please do, and please let us know what you think!

Jonathan