[rudder-users] [IMPORTANT] Broken rudder-agent nightly build

Matthieu CERDA matthieu.cerda at normation.com
Tue Sep 3 12:39:09 CEST 2013

Hello dear users,

Today, 03/09/2013, coredumb[IRC] ( a valued Rudder community member )
notified us that one of our nightly builds was broken:
A development version of our rudder-agent package nukes the /opt/rudder
and /var/rudder directories upon removal or upgrade.

This only affects all nightly builds created between the 27/08/2013 and
the 03/09/2013.

If you are impacted, please don't worry, there is a solution:

On Debian / Ubuntu:

* Execute 'sed "s%rm -rf \/.*/rudder%# DISABLED%g"
/var/lib/dpkg/info/rudder-agent.postrm' and the problem is fixed.

On RHEL / SLES / CentOS:

First, backup your Rudder agent's core files:

* uuid.hive file: cp /opt/rudder/etc/uuid.hive /tmp/uuid.hive
* keys: cp -a /var/rudder/cfengine-community/ppkeys /tmp/ppkeys

Remove the broken package safely and reinstall it from the latest
nightlies using your package manager:

* rpm -e --noscripts --nodeps rudder-agent
* zypper/yum install rudder-agent

Then, restore uuid.hive and the keys:

* cp /tmp/uuid.hive /opt/rudder/etc/uuid.hive
* cp -a /tmp/ppkeys/* /var/rudder/cfengine-community/ppkeys/

Start a CFEngine agent run to make sure things work properly and you're
good to go!

* /var/rudder/cfengine-community/bin/cf-agent -KI

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and you will be pleased to know
that we have taken steps to ensure this will not happen again.

We would like to thank coredumb again for reporting the issue. ( well
done ! )

If you have any concern about this or a more general issue, please feel
free to send an e-mail back on this mailing list (
rudder-users at lists.rudder-project.org )
or contact us via IRC on the Rudder channel: #rudder at irc.freenode.net

Regards,
*Matthieu CERDA*
/Operator - Systems / Networks/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 84 16 06 01