[rudder-users] [HELP] Job scheduler failed

Matthieu CERDA matthieu.cerda at normation.com
Thu Oct 24 14:57:38 CEST 2013

Le 24/10/2013 13:45, Mikaël Mantel a écrit :
> Hello Matthieu,
>
> Thank you for the information.
> i had not thought of the absolute path.
>
> I understood the rudder way.
> We have a some details, like check is a database or table exist ( and
> create if not ) , or check one line in a conf file.
> A shell script with a condition is more adjustable for these tasks.
> And the return code is for collect results on the web interface.
>
> Maybe it's not a good idea ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mikaël Mantel
Hi back,

To check the line in a conf file, there are quite a lot of Techniques to
do it now, like the "Enforce a file content" one that can ensure that a
specific line is present, replace a pattern or delete specific patterns,
and a Technique to run a command if the result of another command meets
certain criteria is on the tracks.

I don't really think that relying on an external shell script to do that
is a good idea, because:

  * You need to specify a "protocol" to make Rudder and your shell bit
    interoperate (in your case, the return codes)
  * You are dependant on a separate component besides the Rudder agent
    (the shell itself)
  * Shell scripts are not really made for idempotency by design, which
    may conflict with the agent behavior.

There is a builtin possibility in CFEngine to extend the agent
possibilities using any executable file: the modules. But it should be
used only in exceptionnal cases.

Regards,
--
Matthieu CERDA