[rudder-users] Question about Rudder & CF-Engine

Jonathan Clarke jonathan.clarke at normation.com
Mon Dec 16 14:52:03 CET 2013

Hi Jonathan,

On 16/12/13 14:02, Jonathan Bayer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at rudder to see if it will fit in our company.
>
> My first question, which I couldn't find an answer to in the archives:
>
> Does Rudder require a specific version of CF-Engine?  or can it use a
> version which we install using our own RPMs?

Different major versions of Rudder (2.4, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8...) require
different major versions of CFEngine. This is because Rudder provides
CFEngine promises, and they use features or syntax that are available or
not compatible with different versions of CFEngine. For the current
releases, this is simple: 2.6 and 2.7 require CFEngine 3.4.x and 2.8+
require CFEngine 3.5.x.

Rudder provides a single package called "rudder-agent" (RPM and deb)
that includes the version of CFEngine it needs, the FusionInventory
inventory agent, and some initial promises to get a node running. This
is primarily to make it easier to install agents everywhere. To make
installing Rudder easy, this package installs CFEngine in a different
path (/var/rudder/cfengine-community) than the standard CFEngine. So you
can easily install both side by side.

So, to put things simply: in theory it would be possible to use your own
CFEngine installed by your own RPMs, but it is designed to be easy for
you to add a rudder-agent alongside them, and migrate over.

You may be interested to read this blog post about migrating from
CFEngine to Rudder, in particular installing the rudder-agent package
via an already installed CFEngine:
https://www.mauras.ch/rudder-migrate-from-cfengine.html.

Note: Occasionnaly, we include extra patches in our build of CFEngine
(in the rudder-agent package), that are from the CFEngine developers but
not yet released in a stable version. This only affects some special
cases though, so don't worry about that.

I hope this answers your question. Let us know if and when you have others!

Regards,
Jonathan