[rudder-users] How to manage rudder server

Francois Armand francois.armand at normation.com
Tue Nov 1 19:21:46 CET 2011

On 31/10/2011 20:49, Jean Rémond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems impossible to manage the rudder server through the web interface.
> Is it a technical limit ?

You are quite right, for now it is not possible to manage the Rudder
server with itself. It is not a technical limit, but it was a behaviour
choice we did a long time ago, when Rudder wasn't looking as what it is
now.

We have recently considered the possibility to add Rudder
self-management feature, but for now, we didn't set a timeline for it.
A ticket opens by a member of the community for that very feature could
rise its priority a lot ;)

> Can you provide the "agent" part inside of the server package ?
> It would be a way to provide a standalone machine to try rudder.

We could think about it, please open a ticket to describe that use case.
We are also thinking about building some VM images (a server and one or
two node) to allows to test Rudder in a simple way.
And finally, we are also thinking about adding a "demo data" set of
files that could be imported into a server, to preconfigure some
groups/policy instances/configuration rules. But in that case, nodes are
still needed to fully test Rudder.

Hope it helps,

--
Francois ARMAND - Normation
87 rue de Turbigo - 75003 Paris - France