[rudder-dev] using rudder for other elements like ethernet switches etc

Francois Armand francois.armand at normation.com
Wed Nov 22 19:02:53 CET 2017

Hello Andreas,

Sorry for the delay, we somehow miss your email until now.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to directly manage with Rudder
anything but system with a supported OS on it (due to agent-based nature
of it).

We are discussing the possibility to have a new kind of agent-less
support for such kinds of devices, where actually the nearest policy
server will do the job and contact/manage them through their API (or ssh
or whatever they allow). In the same broad of ideas, we are thinking
about how to support ansible (the execution model is roughly the same).

But to be honest, this nowhere near completion - we are still at the
drawing board on these subjects. Having a sponsored use case would
greatly help to make them move forward faster.

In the meantime, you can still use the scripts you may already have to
manage these devices and run them from a node managed by Rudder (I know
it's nowhere near a good, not even a good enough solution, but it can
help automate the thing).

I fear I can't help you much more on that subject. Hope it still helps a
little.

Have a good day !