[rudder-dev] New merging feature

Benoit Peccatte benoit.peccatte at normation.com
Tue Jun 14 14:12:59 CEST 2016

Hello all,

For everyone that is contributing to Rudder, we now have a new tool to
merge pull requests.
We always had a principle: fix bug on oldest supported version first.
This lead to pull requests based on this oldest version.

Then we have to merge those fixes to more recent versions. This was done
by a merge bot and when the bot couldn't easily merge the commits, it
just sent us a mail to tell us that we had to fix this by ourselves.
This was error prone since we didn't always merge a single PR but
sometimes many. And it was not always the author or the reviewer of the
PR who did the merge.

To avoid those problems we now have a new bot. This one knows github.

Now when a reviewer agrees on a pull request, he just set the flag
"Ready for merge", the bot will see this flag and try to merge the pr
and merge to upper versions. If it works, a real merge is done and there
is nothing else to do and everyone is happy.

If there is a merge difficulty, the bot instead asks for a manual merge,
and gives the command to do to it. Moreover, it adds a new flag "qa:
can't merge" to make sure it doesn't continuously retry something that
it cannot do. Then all you just have to do is run the given command. If
you don't have merge rights on the repository, the reviewer will do it
for you.
And if we detect that there was a bug, we can remove the "qa: can't
merge" flag and the bot will happily retry the merge.

All in all, those colorful flags will help us achieve a higher quality
level.

*Logo Normation Benoît Peccatte*
/Responsable cloud development/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87, Rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Phone: 	+33 (0)1 85 08 48 96