[rudder-dev] Add new

Nicolas Charles nicolas.charles at normation.com
Mon May 19 12:08:35 CEST 2014

On 19/05/2014 11:59, Ben wrote:
> Le 19/05/2014 09:20, Nicolas Charles a écrit :
>> On 19/05/2014 00:41, Benoit LAURENT wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I like cfengine but the installation and bootstrap is not very easy
>>> for newbies Rudder project permit to configure with easiness. It is a
>>> great project.
>>>
>>> I will create a new directive to deploy xymon Configuration with this
>>> doc
>>> http://www.rudder-project.org/rudder-doc-2.10/rudder-doc.html#_technique_creation.
>>>

>>> I create in my root rudder server, in
>>> /var/rudder/configuration-repository/techniques/applications/
>>> directories xymonServer/1.0/
>>> and in this filepath, metadata.xml and xymonServerConfiguration.st et
>>> xymonServerInstall.st . I have post metadata.xml here (
>>> http://pastebin.fr/35932 )
>>>
>>> When I update Techniques I don't see my new "Technique"  and I have no
>>> errors.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Benoit
>>
>> Hello Benoit,
>>
>> Thank you for your kind words !
>>
>> I used your metadata.xml to create a Technique (I created the folder for
>> the Technique as you did, I put the metadata.xml, and I added into git
>> and commited), and then updated the Techniques in the Web Interface.
>> The Technique indeed did not appears, and the Rudder logs (
>> /var/log/rudder/webapp/2014_05_19.stderrout.log ) showed that there is
>> an error in the descriptor.
>>
>> Indeed, the TRACKINGVARIABLE refers to XYMONSERVER_REMOTE_SERVER ; which
>> is non existant. Replacing it by XYMON_IP_REMOTE_SERVER solves the
>> issue, and the Technique appears in the "Reference Technique Library"
>> and you'll have to copy it to the "Active Techniques library" to be able
>> to use it (in the Administration/Techniques pages)
>>
>> Does it solve your issue ?
>> Nicolas
>
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Thanks for your help, I have replacing the TRACKING variable by
> XYMON_IP_REMOTE_SERVER but my technique does'not appear (in the
> Administration/Techniques pages).
> I check logs but I don't have error message. Is it possible to
> activate debug logs for techniques.

Benoit,

The /var/rudder/configuration-repository/techniques is a git repository,
read by Rudder.
Did you first add the files to git and then commited it ?

git add
/var/rudder/configuration-repository/techniques/applications//xymonServer/1.0/
git commit -m "Applying modificatiion to techniques"

And then update the Techniques in the web interface ?

For your question, yes it is possible to have debug logs, you need to
update the file /opt/rudder/etc/logback.xml and replace
   <root level="info">
     <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
   </root>
by