[rudder-dev] Add new

Nicolas Charles nicolas.charles at normation.com
Mon May 19 09:20:52 CEST 2014

On 19/05/2014 00:41, Benoit LAURENT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I like cfengine but the installation and bootstrap is not very easy
> for newbies Rudder project permit to configure with easiness. It is a
> great project.
>
> I will create a new directive to deploy xymon Configuration with this
> doc
> http://www.rudder-project.org/rudder-doc-2.10/rudder-doc.html#_technique_creation.
> I create in my root rudder server, in
> /var/rudder/configuration-repository/techniques/applications/
> directories xymonServer/1.0/
> and in this filepath, metadata.xml and xymonServerConfiguration.st et
> xymonServerInstall.st . I have post metadata.xml here (
> http://pastebin.fr/35932 )
>
> When I update Techniques I don't see my new "Technique"  and I have no
> errors.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Regards,
> Benoit

Hello Benoit,

Thank you for your kind words !

I used your metadata.xml to create a Technique (I created the folder for
the Technique as you did, I put the metadata.xml, and I added into git
and commited), and then updated the Techniques in the Web Interface.
The Technique indeed did not appears, and the Rudder logs (
/var/log/rudder/webapp/2014_05_19.stderrout.log ) showed that there is
an error in the descriptor.

Indeed, the TRACKINGVARIABLE refers to XYMONSERVER_REMOTE_SERVER ; which
is non existant. Replacing it by XYMON_IP_REMOTE_SERVER solves the
issue, and the Technique appears in the "Reference Technique Library"
and you'll have to copy it to the "Active Techniques library" to be able
to use it (in the Administration/Techniques pages)

Does it solve your issue ?
Nicolas