[rudder-dev] WIP: Directive application

Vincent Membré vincent.membre at normation.com
Mon Nov 25 11:56:23 CET 2013

Hello dear Rudder developers,

I am currently working on new features for next Rudder release, and I
need your advice and feedbacks on my first steps.

Our main objective here are:
* Organize your Rules by providing hierarchical links between them ( ~
group categories with Rules)
* Check and select which Rules apply a Directive directly from the
directive page: No more thousands of clicks before applying your
Directive to Rules

To do this there will be a lot of changes to make the webapp more and
more user friendly.

In this mail I'll talk about the *Directive**application* feature

Here is a mock-up of the new "Directive management page" what Jonathan,
François and I came up with:

Our first decision was to transform the Directive page:

Now when you click on a Directive, you no longer have the
*loooooooooooooooooong* page with the directive details and parameters
inside.

Instead you we deciced to transform that pages into tabs:

  * First tab: *Informations*

    In that tab you will find all basic informations about the Directive
    (name, description, ...) and a list of Rules applying this Directive.
    So in this tab you can clearly understand what your Directive is
    doing, if it's applied or not

  * Second tab: *Parameters*

    You will find all configuration parameters for your Directive

  * Third tab: *Target Rules*

    In this tab you will be able to check and determine which Rule
    applies your Directive.
    We decided to keep the same display than Rule page with the new
    category tree with small modifications (ie: You can't create, edit
    nor delete Rules or categories here).
    You can select/deselect Rules or categories to decide which will
    apply the Directive.

Once your done, click on the save button, saving all changes made in the
three tabs.
We will try to keep action buttons (save, delete, disable ...) always
visible, so you won't have to scroll to find the button.

I think that's all about this feature, what do you think of it ? do you
have any more ideas? something we missed maybe? Don't hesitate, we're
here to discuss!

Cheers,

*Vincent Membré*
/Ingénieur R&D/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 84 16 06 00
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 10 14 76 78