[rudder-dev] WIP: Rule categories

Vincent Membré vincent.membre at normation.com
Mon Nov 25 10:45:06 CET 2013

Hello dear Rudder developers,

I am currently working on new features for next Rudder release, and I
need your advice and feedbacks on my first steps.

Our main objective here are:
* Organize your Rules by providing hierarchical links between them ( ~
group categories with Rules)
* Check and select which Rules apply a Directive directly from the
directive page: No more thousands of clicks before applying your
Directive to Rules

To do this there will be a lot of changes to make the webapp more and
more user friendly.

In this mail I'll talk about the *Rule category* feature

Here is a mock-up of the new "Rule management page" what Jonathan,
François and I comes up with:

On the right part, we find our goold old *Rule table*. As you can see,
it had a small lifting:

  *    Less columns: some of them were useless ( enable/disabled, groups
    and directives with only the first displayed unless you click on it)
  *    New column category
  *    Compliance column with meaningful colors ( Green > 90%, Yellow
    <90% and > 40%, Red < 40, gray when no reporting yet (disabled, just
    started)
  *    Edit button replaced with a more meaningful one (uuuugly icon
    before...)
  *    When mouse is over a Rule with a description, the description is
    displayed in a tooltip
  * The table displays only a Rules from selected catagory ( see below )

On top of the table, a button to create Rule, a filter to filter the
table, and a checkbox to tell whether the table should include or not
Rules from subcategories

On the left part: The new category tree view
A new way to organize your Rules and understand how you apply your
configuration to your nodes.

  * a tree like the one in the groups page
  * on click, it displays Rules from this category in the table on the
    right side
  * when mouse is over one category, description is displayed, and
    action buttons appears (edit and delete)
  * I'd like to add a way to rename a category quickly, by
    double-clicking on its name

On top of the tree, a button to create new category, buttons *+ *and *-*
to expand/close all category, and a filter on the tree

I think that's all about Rule category, what do you think of it ? do you
have any more ideas? something we missed maybe? Don't hesitate, we're
here to discuss!

another mail should come shortly about multi-application of Directives!

Cheers,

*Vincent Membré*
/Ingénieur R&D/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 84 16 06 00
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 10 14 76 78