[rudder-dev] HTTPS support in Rudder < 2.8

Matthieu CERDA matthieu.cerda at normation.com
Tue Nov 19 10:38:00 CET 2013

Francois <francois.armand at normation.com> a écrit :
>On 03/11/2013 17:37, Jonathan Clarke wrote:
>> Hi there,
Hello !

>> HTTPS support now works "out of the box" in Rudder 2.8 (see
>>
>http://www.rudder-project.org/foswiki/bin/view/System/Documentation:ChangeLog28#System_integration),
>> but I have a couple of questions about documentation for this
>features.
>>
>> 1) The current user manual in 2.8 version doesn't seem to mention
>this
>> at all. I assume it would be useful to at least explain how the
>> certificate is generated (ie, self-signed, will cause certificate
>> trust errors), and how to use your own certificate (in such a way
>that
>> if you edit the path in the config file it doesn't get wiped :) ).
>>
>> Any opinions on this? Either way, a Pull Request would be appreciated
>:)
>
>I'm for your documentation proposition, so that new users know how to
>adapt the process to feet their installation, and old users are not
>suprised by the evolution.

I second this.

>> 2) Should we add some documentation on how to set this up for pre-2.8
>> installs? Or should we not bother and just say "If you need HTTPS,
>> upgrade to 2.8"? I'm open to any opinions, please fire away :) And
>> again, a pull request would make this an easy choice ;)
>
>Well, as long as 2.8 is not tagged "stable", that means that we don't
>have any documented way to have HTTPS on a stable Rudder, what is
>so-so,
>especially if we do have to process... So I would go for at least
>documenting it for the current Rudder stable and more recent version
>(well, 2.6 and 2.7 :)

I do agree with this idea! Actually, as the initiator of the «http/s as default transport» feature in Rudder 2.8, I do consider this important.

A ticket about this is open at http://www.rudder-project.org/redmine/issues/3859 , I encourage anyone interested in this to add remarks and feedback to it!

>> Thanks for your opinions!
>> Jonathan

Thanks for asking :-)

--
Matthieu CERDA
Sent from a mobile device, may contain nuts.