[rudder-dev] re-using parts of techniques

Jonathan Clarke jonathan.clarke at normation.com
Sun Feb 3 14:43:31 CET 2013

On 03/02/13 13:30, Michael Gliwinski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a new technique for configuring an authorization and
> authentication realm (NSS/PAM) using SSSD.  One of things remaining on the
> todo list before launching 1.0 is service management.
>
> So basically the technique needs to ensure a service is enabled, running, etc.
> This seems like a good candidate for re-using a part of servicesManagement
> technique :D
>
> Is there currently any way to do that?  Or are there any plans or ideas how
> this could be done?

We have recently been working on some "best practices" to write
Techniques. You can check out the current draft on
http://www.rudder-project.org/foswiki/bin/view/Development/TechniqueBestPractices.

For now, the only Technique that implements these best practices is
sshManagement:
https://github.com/Normation/rudder-techniques/tree/master/techniques/systemSettings/remoteAccess/sshConfiguration/2.0.

This may not be extremely easy to understand yet (needs some clarifying
I think), but one of the key points here is that all Techniques should
be broken up into several bundles: one that gets parameters via
StringTemplate variable remplacement (&TECHNIQUE_VALUE&), and one bundle
that takes parameters, which is called from the first bundle, and
applies the logic. This would enable you to call out to others
Techniques using a "methods: "x" usebundle => " construct.

The one remaining issue to solve is that Rudder only generates CFEngine
promises for the Techniques that are explicitly configured for a node.
So, if you wanted to call out to Services Management, that only works
currently is another Directive uses Services Management directly on that
node also. We should automate this.

Does this clarify? Do you think this will be a useful approach?

Jonathan
*Jonathan CLARKE*
/CTO - Directeur technique/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Telephone: 	+33 (0)1 83 62 41 24
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 99 60 03 10