[rudder-dev] rudder variables

Nicolas Perron nicolas.perron at normation.com
Mon Apr 8 12:30:10 CEST 2013

> Hi,
>
> Just out of curiosity, I've seen http://www.rudder-
> project.org/redmine/issues/3332 in 2.4.4 changelog and I started wondering,
> what are Rudder variables and how do they work?
>
> Thanks,
Hello Michael,

The "Rudder variables" the ticket express in
http://www.rudder-project.org/redmine/issues/3332 are the values typed
in a Directive. Theses values initialize some Rudder values which will
generate CFEngine promises.

The problem pointed out here was about reusable Rudder variables
initialized by Directives based on Technique /*Generic Variable
Definition*/. With this Technique, it is possible to define a variable
/foo/ and to reuse it with another Technique, like /*MOTD
configuration*/ by setting the content of the MOTD with the value of the
variable /${generic_variable_definition.foo}/.

Regards,

Nicolas PERRON
Normation
87 rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France