[rudder-dev] rules and directives gone after upgrade to nightly

Nicolas Perron nicolas.perron at normation.com
Wed Sep 12 14:36:43 CEST 2012

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry, I know you're busy with the fixes for 2.4 release.
>
> I just upgraded rudder server from beta4 to nigthly (rudder-server-root
> 2.4.0~beta5~git201209120436-precise0) and all rules and directives have
> disappeared from the web interface.  AFAICS all the files are still there in
> /var/rudder/configuration-repository/{directives,rules}/ directories.
>
> I may have messed something up during upgrade, as I had to re-try it several
> times.  Everything is OK now as far as packages are concerned.
>
> Any ideas where to check what might be happening?
>
> Just after upgrade, I've found these in the
> /var/log/rudder/webapp/2012_09_12.stderrout.log:
>
> [2012-09-12 10:08:40] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.batch.UpdateDynamicGroups$LAUpdateDyngroupManager
> - Error when updating dynamic group NodeGroupId(db7463eb-
> c5ac-432d-9749-39e9503ef7cb) : <- Error when retrieving the entry for
> NodeGroup 'NodeGroupId(db7463eb-c5ac-432d-9749-39e9503ef7cb)'
> [2012-09-12 10:09:16] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.DirectiveManagement - Error
> when displaying category: Error while fetching Active Technique category
> ActiveTechniqueCategoryId(Rudder Internal)
> [2012-09-12 10:09:16] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.DirectiveManagement - Error
> when displaying category: Error while fetching Active Technique category
> ActiveTechniqueCategoryId(applications)
> [2012-09-12 10:09:16] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.DirectiveManagement - Error
> when displaying category: Error while fetching Active Technique category
> ActiveTechniqueCategoryId(fileDistribution)
> [2012-09-12 10:09:16] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.DirectiveManagement - Error
> when displaying category: Error while fetching Active Technique category
> ActiveTechniqueCategoryId(systemSettings)
> [2012-09-12 10:09:16] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.DirectiveManagement - Error
> when displaying category: Error while fetching Active Technique category
> ActiveTechniqueCategoryId(jobScheduling)
> [2012-09-12 10:09:16] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.DirectiveManagement - Error
> when displaying category: Error while fetching Active Technique category
> ActiveTechniqueCategoryId(fileConfiguration)
> [2012-09-12 10:09:30] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.TechniqueLibraryManagement -
> Error when displaying category: Error while fetching Active Technique category
> ActiveTechniqueCategoryId(Rudder Internal)
> [2012-09-12 10:09:30] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.TechniqueLibraryManagement -
> Error when displaying category: Error while fetching Active Technique category
> ActiveTechniqueCategoryId(applications)
> [2012-09-12 10:09:30] ERROR
> com.normation.rudder.web.snippet.configuration.TechniqueLibraryManagement -
> [...]

Hi Michael,

Can you give us the output of these command, please ?:

/cd /var/rudder/configuration-repository/ && git log/
/
//find /var/rudder/configuration-repository/ -name "category.xml"/

It could be due to the latest modifications in packaging which involve
the renaming of a folder in //var/rudder/configuration-repository/ .

/Thanks/
/

Nicolas PERRON
Normation