[rudder-dev] Heads up: Roadmap updated

Jonathan Clarke jonathan.clarke at normation.com
Wed Jul 18 13:39:37 CEST 2012

Hello fellow Rudder developers,

As you may know if you've been following Rudder development activity
recently, we've been working hard on a 2.4 release for many months now.
This release is now reaching beta status, and will soon be announced for
widespread testing. The code is currently available on the
branches/rudder/2.4 branch in git.

Simultaneously (by another team, in effect), some new features have been
developed on the master branch in git. They include some really nice
things, for example:
* Rudder will be able to manage the node on which Rudder server runs
(root server)
* Clone groups and directives
* Apply rules on more than one group
* More detailed information from reporting: see which
directive/component/key is causing an error or low compliance
* Simple rights and authorization management in the webapp
* The start of a human readable error log (aka ops logs)

These features are reaching maturity at the same time as the 2.4 release
is. As a result, we have decided to include these features in the 2.4
branch, and thus the upcoming release.

The full roadmap is up to date on:
http://www.rudder-project.org/foswiki/Development/Roadmap2_4.

What does this mean? It means all work in Rudder will now be focused in
the branches/rudder/2.4 branch in git. master will be regularly updated
(git merge) from that branch, but if you want to work on a usable test
version, please look at the 2.4 branch and not master.

Also, get ready for testing 2.4, a first beta release, including
automatic upgrade from 2.3.x.

Thanks for reading.

Jonathan
*Jonathan CLARKE*