[rudder-announce] Rudder 4.0 is coming! (rc3 is here, and status of previous rc)

Vincent Membré vincent.membre at normation.com
Tue Oct 25 18:05:42 CEST 2016

Dear Rudder community,

Rudder 4.0 is almost here!

We have built a 4.0.0~rc1 last week but we found bugs and made two new
rc before having the time to announce it. So, 4.0.0~rc3, here you are!

Major new features include:

  * You can select how your policy will be applied. Two modes are available:
      o Enforce: Rudder classic mode, which enforces the configuration.
      o Audit: Will only check if the configuration is valid, doing
        nothing on your nodes
      o This mode is defined globally, and can be overridden by nodes
        and directives
      o Audit wins over Enforce if their is a conflict between directive
        and nodes
  * The web interface has been redesigned to be pretty, responsive and
    clearer for a more pleasant experience
  * New Rest API methods:
      o Manage Rudder settings
      o Launch remote agent run (one by one, all nodes)
  * A file browser can be used to select files from the shared-folder
  * Performance gain (compliance, policy generation)
  * new commands in rudder agent ( remote run on groups, status, new run
    output ...)
  * Upgrade dependencies (CFEngine, fusionInventory, ... )

The changelog will be available soon here:
http://www.rudder-project.org/foswiki/bin/view/System/Documentation:ChangeLog40

This software is in "release candidate" status but we have tested it and
believe it to be free of any critical bug.
The use on production systems is not encouraged at this time and is at
your own risk. However, we do encourage testing, and welcome all and any
feedback!
If no major bugs are found, a "final" release of 4.0.0 will be released
by the end of the week.

As always, check out
https://www.rudder-project.org/site/get-rudder/downloads/ for download
links.

We look forward to your feedback, be it comments on this list, questions
on Twitter (@RudderProject <https://twitter.com/RudderProject>) or on
IRC (#rudder <http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=rudder> on Freenode)
, bug reports or feature requests (or of course GitHub pull requests).

Wishing you a pleasant day

*Logo Normation Vincent Membré*
/Developer / Release manager/
Normation <http://www.normation.com>
*87, Rue de Turbigo, 75003 Paris, France*
Phone: 	+33 (0)1 84 16 06 00
Mobile: 	+33 (0)6 10 14 76 78