[rudder-announce] Rudder 2.4.0~rc1 available!

Nicolas Perron nicolas.perron at normation.com
Thu Nov 22 20:46:48 CET 2012

We are proud to announce the availability of new version of Rudder,
2.4.0~rc1.

This is a release candidate for 2.4.0 version. It contains the following
list of bug fixes and changes compared to 2.4.0~beta5:

As always, check out
http://www.rudder-project.org/foswiki/bin/view/Download/WebHome for
download links.

***** Bug fixes *****

******* Core *******

    Fix reporting when the only node of a Rule has been deleted (#2937)
    Fix download of Directives/Rules/Groups as zip from Rudder UI (#2990)
    Fix system Technique common: The Technique used an unsupported
parameter on Windows (#2954)
    Various code fixes (#2934)

******* UI *******

    Fix IE9 Compatibility (#2027, #2028, #2029)
    Various UI Fixes (#1957, #2936, #2979, #2980, #2981, #2982, #2991,
#2992, #3010)

******* System integration *******

    Prevent Rudder agent from writing many logs to local syslog
(/var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages on each node) (#2993)
    Save disk space by compressing big log files - copy of reports on
server (#2962)
    Save disk space by compressing big log files - autoclean LDAP
database transaction logs (#2963)
    Fix broken Java dependencies on CentOS (#2941)
    Fix reporting on nodes with syslogd (not syslog-ng nor rsyslog)
which never communicated back to Rudder server (#2943)
    Add check to avoid any more than 5 cf-agents running simulataneously
(#3012)
    Fix cron check to relaunch CFEngine to detect cf-execd and cf-agent
too (#3013)
    Fix timestamp format in agent logs generated by the "failsafe"
mechanism (#2994)
    Prevent Jetty from hanging indefinitely when restart script fails
(#2846)

******* Techniques *******

    Fix Technique "Job Scheduler": Job was never launched if start time
was between 0:00 and 9:00 AM (#2940)
    Fix Technique "Time Settings": Installation of NTP didn't work on
RHEL/CentOS (#2384)
    Fix Technique "Enforce a file content" version 2.0: this version was
not functional (#3022)
    Fix Technique "Package management for Debian / Ubuntu / APT
systems": avoid the package manager blocking on pre-existing
configuration files during package installation (#2946)

***** Changes *****

******* System integration *******

    This version of Rudder adds support for Debian Wheezy (7)

******* Techniques *******

    Technique "User Management": Take into account network users
(special thanks to Michael Gliwinski!) (#2944)
    Test suite improvement (#2933)

******* Documentation *******

    Add information on how to migrate a Rudder server to another one (#2958)
    Various documentation fixes (#2340, #2942)

***** Known issues *****

There is one known issue with this release of Rudder:

    Technique "Enforce a file content" version 3.1 is rejected by Rudder
(#3027), causing the following bug fixes to be unavailable:
        Technique "Enforce a file content": Option to choose if the file
to edit should be created or not if it doesn't already exist (#2945)
        Technique "Enforce a file content": line remplacement didn't
work if the replacement was empty and only one Directive from this
Technique was applied on a node (#2819)

This can be worked around by downloading and installing a nightly build
of the rudder-techniques package, from our nightly build APT repo
(http://www.rudder-project.org/apt-2.4-nightly/) or RPM repo
(http://www.rudder-project.org/rpm-2.4-nightly/).

***** Release notes *****

This version of Rudder is in release candidate status. This version was
focused on stabilization and system integration to be highly reliable.
While we have tested it thoroughly and believe it to be free of any
major bugs, use on mission-critical systems is not encouraged at this
time and is at your own risk. We are however running it on several
production systems with success.

***** Contributors *****

Special thanks go out to the following individuals who invested time,
patience, testing, patches or bug reports to make this version of Rudder
better:

    Benoît Peccatte
    François Bayart aka A-Kaser (Look a box)
    Michael Gliwinski (Henderson Group)

We are impatient to hear your feedback, be it comments on this blog,
questions on Twitter, bug reports or feature requests or even GitHub
pull requests!

See also this announcement online:
* Changelog:
http://www.rudder-project.org/foswiki/bin/view/System/Documentation:ChangeLog24